This dish is so simple, so quick, uses mostly items that you have the cupboard/fridge/freezer and is ideal if you have a bit of chicken left over from Sunday roast. So here it is if you haven’t planned your Monday night tea yet.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- 1 large glass white wine (optional but it does add a little je ne sais quoi)
- 1.5l chicken or vegetable stock, heated to simmering
- 1 large handful frozen peas, defrosted (although if you’re in a rush and forget, just bung ’em in a little earlier than suggested – they’ll cook in the stock!)
- Cooked chicken, torn into strips, no skin
- 50g Parmesan, grated
The How To
- Melt a knob of butter in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and cook slowly until soft and translucent.
- Stir in the rice until coated with butter. It should become a little see-through.
- Add the wine and stir until evaporated. Breathe in the aroma – luuurrrrvvvvlllyyy!
- Add the stock a ladle at a time until the rice is cooked but still with a little bite. Make sure you keep stirring so the rice doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Add the peas and chicken in the last 5 minutes of cooking to heat through.
- Stir in the Parmesan and add some black pepper when serving to taste, plus a few sprigs of parsley (if you have them!)
If you want to be super fancy, why not make a couple of parmesan chips to go on the side?
Simply heat a small non-stick frying pan. Then drop some grated parmesan into the pan, in a chip like shape. Wait about 5 minutes before peeling them off, they should be golden and crisp – you can roll them into a shape if you fancy too; then place on your serving plate – lovely!